- WIST is my personal collection of quotations, curated for thought, amusement, turn of phrase, historical significance, or sometimes just (often-unintentional) irony.
Please feel free to browse and borrow.
- 17,638 quotes and counting ...
Topic Cloudaction age America author beauty belief change character courage death education ego error evil faith fear freedom future God government happiness history humanity integrity leadership liberty life love morality perspective politics poverty power progress religion science society success truth tyranny virtue war wealth wisdom writing
- I've been adding topics/tags since 2014, so not all quotes have been given one. Full topic list.
- * Visual quotes (graphics, memes) only
- “Wealth and Poverty,” speech, National… (7,229)
- “The Lesson for Today,” A Witness Tree (1942) (5,859)
- Agamemnon, ll. 175-183 [tr. Johnston (2007)] (5,847)
- “The Triumph of Stupidity” (10 May 1933) (4,959)
- Nobel prize acceptance speech (10 Dec 1962) (4,875)
- “On The Conduct of Life” (1822) (3,968)
- “In Search of a Majority,” Speech,… (3,846)
- “Get a Knife, Get a Dog, but Get Rid of… (3,708)
- “A Cult of Ignorance,” Newsweek (21 Jan 1980) (3,176)
- “The Historian as Participant,” Daedalus… (3,167)
Most Quoted Authors
Author CloudAdams, John • Bacon, Francis • Bible • Bierce, Ambrose • Billings, Josh • Butcher, Jim • Chesterton, Gilbert Keith • Churchill, Winston • Einstein, Albert • Eisenhower, Dwight David • Emerson, Ralph Waldo • Franklin, Benjamin • Fuller, Thomas (1654) • Gaiman, Neil • Galbraith, John Kenneth • Gandhi, Mohandas • Goethe, Johann von • Hazlitt, William • Heinlein, Robert A. • Hoffer, Eric • Huxley, Aldous • Ingersoll, Robert Green • James, William • Jefferson, Thomas • Johnson, Lyndon • Johnson, Samuel • Kennedy, John F. • King, Martin Luther • La Rochefoucauld, Francois • Lewis, C.S. • Lincoln, Abraham • Mencken, H.L. • Orwell, George • Pratchett, Terry • Roosevelt, Eleanor • Roosevelt, Theodore • Russell, Bertrand • Seneca the Younger • Shakespeare, William • Shaw, George Bernard • Stevenson, Adlai • Stevenson, Robert Louis • Twain, Mark • Watterson, Bill • Wilde, Oscar
- Only the 45 most quoted authors are shown above. Full author list.
- 14-Oct-20 - How far can we deduce that the act of writing poetry was a self-harming manifestation of Sylvia Plath’s mental illness? – Maya Elphick on Problemata, 30.1.
- 6-Oct-20 - Equal Rites (1987) | WIST on “An Essay on Criticism,” Part 2, ll. 15-18 (1711).
- 6-Oct-20 - "On Elemental Instruction in Physiology" (1877) | WIST on “An Essay on Criticism,” Part 2, ll. 15-18 (1711).
- 5-Oct-20 - Jim Denison on What Does the Bible Say About Politics? – New America Today on Republic, Book 1, 347c.
- 5-Oct-20 - Black Christian News Network on Republic, Book 1, 347c.
- 5-Oct-20 - OTPB - Ordem dos Teólogos e Pastores do Brasil on Republic, Book 1, 347c.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Matthew 7:18–20 (KJV)
- "A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a poor tree cannot bear good fruit. And any tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown in the fire. So then, you will know the false prophets by what they do." (GNT)
- "A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will know them by their fruits." (NRSV)
Added on 17-Aug-18 | Last updated 17-Aug-18