- WIST is my personal collection of quotations, curated for thought, amusement, turn of phrase, historical significance, or sometimes just (often-unintentional) irony. Please feel free to browse and borrow.
- 16,667 quotes and counting ...
Topic Cloudaction age America belief books change character Christianity creation death democracy education ego evil faith fear freedom future God government happiness history honesty humanity integrity justice leadership liberty life love morality perspective politics power religion science society success truth tyranny virtue war wealth wisdom writing
- I've been adding topics/tags since 2014, so not all quotes have been given one. Full topic list.
- * Visual quotes (graphics, memes) only
- “The Lesson for Today,” A Witness Tree (1942) (5,449)
- Agamemnon, ll. 175-183 [tr. Johnston (2007)] (5,195)
- “Wealth and Poverty,” speech, National… (5,114)
- Nobel prize acceptance speech (10 Dec 1962) (4,764)
- “The Triumph of Stupidity” (10 May 1933) (4,129)
- “In Search of a Majority,” Speech,… (3,584)
- “Get a Knife, Get a Dog, but Get Rid of… (3,370)
- “Hallowed Ground” (1825) (2,898)
- “On The Conduct of Life” (1822) (2,723)
- “The Historian as Participant,” Daedalus… (2,613)
Most Quoted Authors
Author CloudAdams, John • Bacon, Francis • Bible • Bierce, Ambrose • Billings, Josh • Butcher, Jim • Chesterton, Gilbert Keith • Churchill, Winston • Einstein, Albert • Eisenhower, Dwight David • Emerson, Ralph Waldo • Franklin, Benjamin • Fuller, Thomas (1654) • Gaiman, Neil • Galbraith, John Kenneth • Gandhi, Mohandas • Goethe, Johann von • Hazlitt, William • Heinlein, Robert A. • Hoffer, Eric • Huxley, Aldous • Ingersoll, Robert Green • James, William • Jefferson, Thomas • Johnson, Lyndon • Johnson, Samuel • Kennedy, John F. • King, Martin Luther • La Rochefoucauld, Francois • Lewis, C.S. • Lincoln, Abraham • Mencken, H.L. • Orwell, George • Pratchett, Terry • Roosevelt, Eleanor • Roosevelt, Theodore • Russell, Bertrand • Seneca the Younger • Shakespeare, William • Shaw, George Bernard • Stevenson, Adlai • Stevenson, Robert Louis • Twain, Mark • Watterson, Bill • Wilde, Oscar
- Only the 45 most quoted authors are shown above. Full author list.
- 13-Mar-19 - Defending Health Freedom: From Informed-Consent to Implied Consent – medicine-99.com on Letter to Henry L. Sprague (26 Jan 1900).
- 11-Mar-19 - L. Penelope :: Award-Winning Fantasy Author on Letter to Oskar Pollak (27 Jan 1904).
- 4-Feb-19 - Jean Notte on About WIST.
- 26-Jan-19 - Foucault's Pendulum, ch. 87 (1988) [tr. W. Weaver (1989)] | WIST on The Scarlet Letter, ch. 20 “The Minister in a Maze” (1850).
- 26-Jan-19 - Mark Twain's Notebook (1935) [ed. Paine] | WIST on Christian Science, Book 1, ch. 5 (1907).
- 26-Jan-19 - (Attributed) | WIST on Proverbs 26:4 (KJV).
Where men then are free to consult experience they will correct their practice, and make changes for the better. It follows, therefore, that the more free men are, the more changes they will make. In the beginning, possibly, for the worse; but most certainly in time for the better; until their knowledge enlarging by observation, and their judgment strengthening by exercise, they will find themselves in the straight, broad, fair road of improvement. Out of change, therefore, springs improvement; and the people who shall have imagined a peaceable mode of changing their institutions, hold a surety for their melioration. This surety is worth all other excellences. Better were the prospects of a people under the influence of the worst government who should hold the power of changing it, that those of a people under the best who should hold no such power.
Independence Day speech, New Harmony, Indiana (4 Jul 1828)
Added on 13-Mar-19 | Last updated 13-Mar-19