- WIST is my personal collection of quotations, curated for thought, amusement, turn of phrase, historical significance, or sometimes just (often-unintentional) irony. Please feel free to browse and borrow.
- 16,692 quotes and counting ...
Topic Cloudaction age America belief books change character Christianity creation death democracy education ego evil faith fear freedom future God government happiness history honesty humanity integrity justice leadership liberty life love morality perspective politics power religion science society success truth tyranny virtue war wealth wisdom writing
- I've been adding topics/tags since 2014, so not all quotes have been given one. Full topic list.
- * Visual quotes (graphics, memes) only
- “The Lesson for Today,” A Witness Tree (1942) (5,494)
- “Wealth and Poverty,” speech, National… (5,235)
- Agamemnon, ll. 175-183 [tr. Johnston (2007)] (5,233)
- Nobel prize acceptance speech (10 Dec 1962) (4,781)
- “The Triumph of Stupidity” (10 May 1933) (4,192)
- “In Search of a Majority,” Speech,… (3,598)
- “Get a Knife, Get a Dog, but Get Rid of… (3,410)
- “Hallowed Ground” (1825) (2,908)
- “On The Conduct of Life” (1822) (2,819)
- “The Historian as Participant,” Daedalus… (2,639)
Most Quoted Authors
Author CloudAdams, John • Bacon, Francis • Bible • Bierce, Ambrose • Billings, Josh • Butcher, Jim • Chesterton, Gilbert Keith • Churchill, Winston • Einstein, Albert • Eisenhower, Dwight David • Emerson, Ralph Waldo • Franklin, Benjamin • Fuller, Thomas (1654) • Gaiman, Neil • Galbraith, John Kenneth • Gandhi, Mohandas • Goethe, Johann von • Hazlitt, William • Heinlein, Robert A. • Hoffer, Eric • Huxley, Aldous • Ingersoll, Robert Green • James, William • Jefferson, Thomas • Johnson, Lyndon • Johnson, Samuel • Kennedy, John F. • King, Martin Luther • La Rochefoucauld, Francois • Lewis, C.S. • Lincoln, Abraham • Mencken, H.L. • Orwell, George • Pratchett, Terry • Roosevelt, Eleanor • Roosevelt, Theodore • Russell, Bertrand • Seneca the Younger • Shakespeare, William • Shaw, George Bernard • Stevenson, Adlai • Stevenson, Robert Louis • Twain, Mark • Watterson, Bill • Wilde, Oscar
- Only the 45 most quoted authors are shown above. Full author list.
- 24-May-19 - Dave on Inaugural Address (20 Jan 1989).
- 16-May-19 - Mike Gaudioso on Inaugural Address (20 Jan 1989).
- 23-Apr-19 - Dave on Letter to Baron von Stein, Dammartin le St. Père (7 Jan 1814).
- 14-Apr-19 - Gastone Breccia on Letter to Baron von Stein, Dammartin le St. Père (7 Jan 1814).
- 9-Apr-19 - ***Dave Does the Blog on The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, ch. 2 (1876).
- 8-Apr-19 - Paraenesis votiva pro Pace Ecclesiae ad Theologos Augustanae Confessionis (1626) | WIST on Motto.
Men and nations behave wisely when they have exhausted all other resources.
Speech, Japan (19 Mar 1967)
Regarding the problems between Israel and her neighbors Other references by Eban:
Eban used the phrases in various ways, but generically for all nations, for many years. Variants referencing America are usually attributed starting in the early 1980s to Winston Churchill, but not found in his writings or attributions to him at the time:
- "Nations do behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." (6 Jun 1967)
- "The question is whether there is any reason to believe that such a new era may yet come to pass. If I am sanguine on this point, it is because of a conviction that men and nations do behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives. Surely the other alternatives of war and belligerency have now been exhausted." (Speech, United Nations, 16 Jun 1967)
For more info, see here.
- "Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all other possibilities."
- "The Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted."
- "You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing after they have tried everything else."
- "The Americans will always do the right thing, after they've exhausted all the alternatives."
Added on 1-Feb-04 | Last updated 12-Nov-12