- WIST is my personal collection of quotations, curated for thought, amusement, turn of phrase, historical significance, or sometimes just (often-unintentional) irony.Please feel free to browse and borrow.
- 16,757 quotes and counting ...
Topic Cloudaction age America belief books change character Christianity creation death democracy education ego evil faith fear freedom future God government happiness history honesty humanity integrity justice leadership liberty life love morality perspective politics poverty power religion science society success truth virtue war wealth wisdom writing
- I've been adding topics/tags since 2014, so not all quotes have been given one. Full topic list.
- * Visual quotes (graphics, memes) only
- “Wealth and Poverty,” speech, National… (5,699)
- “The Lesson for Today,” A Witness Tree (1942) (5,644)
- Agamemnon, ll. 175-183 [tr. Johnston (2007)] (5,433)
- Nobel prize acceptance speech (10 Dec 1962) (4,817)
- “The Triumph of Stupidity” (10 May 1933) (4,418)
- “In Search of a Majority,” Speech,… (3,709)
- “Get a Knife, Get a Dog, but Get Rid of… (3,527)
- “On The Conduct of Life” (1822) (3,463)
- “Hallowed Ground” (1825) (2,973)
- “The Historian as Participant,” Daedalus… (2,902)
Most Quoted Authors
Author CloudAdams, John • Bacon, Francis • Bible • Bierce, Ambrose • Billings, Josh • Butcher, Jim • Chesterton, Gilbert Keith • Churchill, Winston • Einstein, Albert • Eisenhower, Dwight David • Emerson, Ralph Waldo • Franklin, Benjamin • Fuller, Thomas (1654) • Gaiman, Neil • Galbraith, John Kenneth • Gandhi, Mohandas • Goethe, Johann von • Hazlitt, William • Heinlein, Robert A. • Hoffer, Eric • Huxley, Aldous • Ingersoll, Robert Green • James, William • Jefferson, Thomas • Johnson, Lyndon • Johnson, Samuel • Kennedy, John F. • King, Martin Luther • La Rochefoucauld, Francois • Lewis, C.S. • Lincoln, Abraham • Mencken, H.L. • Orwell, George • Pratchett, Terry • Roosevelt, Eleanor • Roosevelt, Theodore • Russell, Bertrand • Seneca the Younger • Shakespeare, William • Shaw, George Bernard • Stevenson, Adlai • Stevenson, Robert Louis • Twain, Mark • Watterson, Bill • Wilde, Oscar
- Only the 45 most quoted authors are shown above. Full author list.
- 14-Oct-19 - Address to the Massachusetts legislature (9 Jan 1961) | WIST on Luke 12:48 (NIV).
- 30-Sep-19 - Chamblee54 on Poor Richard’s Almanack (1755).
- 23-Sep-19 - Chamblee54 on A Course of Popular Lectures, Lecture 3, “Of the more Important Divisions and Essential Parts of Knowledge” (1829).
- 5-Sep-19 - Erewhon, ch. 20 (1872) | WIST on 1 Timothy 6:10 (KJV).
- 4-Sep-19 - "Remaining Awake Through a Great Revolution," sermon, National Cathedral, Washington, DC (31 Mar 1968) | WIST on Letter from Birmingham Jail (16 Apr 1963).
- 16-Aug-19 - Dave on About WIST.
Quotations by Jerrold, Douglas
We love peace, as we abhor pusillanimity; but not peace at any price. There is a peace more destructive of the manhood of living man, than war is destructive to his material body. Chains are worse than bayonets.
In Blanchard Gerrold (ed.), Specimens of Douglas Jerrold's Wit (1858)
Taking off his hat and smoothing the wrinkles of his brow, Topps said, ‘Humph! what is dogmatism? Why, it is this, of course: dogmatism is puppyism come to its full growth.’
A Man Made of Money, ch. 21 (1849)
Variations / paraphrases found elsewhere:
- "Dogmatism is puppyism full grown."
- "Dogmatism is puppyism gone to seed."
Yes, it’s all very well to talk about fortunes made in no time: they’re like shirts made in no time — it’s ten to one if they hang long together.
Mrs. Caudle’s Curtain Lectures, Lecture 23 (1866)
To reform man was a tedious and uncertain labor: now hanging was the sure work of a minute.
Added on 22-Sep-16 | Last updated 22-Sep-16
| No comments
| No comments