- WIST is my personal collection of quotations, curated for thought, amusement, turn of phrase, historical significance, or sometimes just (often-unintentional) irony. Please feel free to browse and borrow.
- 17,173 quotes and counting ...
Topic Cloudaction age America argument belief change character courage death democracy education ego evil faith fear freedom future God government happiness history humanity integrity justice leadership liberty life love morality perspective politics poverty power reality religion science society success truth tyranny virtue war wealth wisdom writing
- I've been adding topics/tags since 2014, so not all quotes have been given one. Full topic list.
- * Visual quotes (graphics, memes) only
- “Wealth and Poverty,” speech, National… (6,336)
- “The Lesson for Today,” A Witness Tree (1942) (5,769)
- Agamemnon, ll. 175-183 [tr. Johnston (2007)] (5,611)
- Nobel prize acceptance speech (10 Dec 1962) (4,860)
- “The Triumph of Stupidity” (10 May 1933) (4,759)
- “On The Conduct of Life” (1822) (3,879)
- “In Search of a Majority,” Speech,… (3,779)
- “Get a Knife, Get a Dog, but Get Rid of… (3,643)
- “The Historian as Participant,” Daedalus… (3,050)
- “Hallowed Ground” (1825) (3,027)
Most Quoted Authors
Author CloudAdams, John • Bacon, Francis • Bible • Bierce, Ambrose • Billings, Josh • Butcher, Jim • Chesterton, Gilbert Keith • Churchill, Winston • Einstein, Albert • Eisenhower, Dwight David • Emerson, Ralph Waldo • Franklin, Benjamin • Fuller, Thomas (1654) • Gaiman, Neil • Galbraith, John Kenneth • Gandhi, Mohandas • Goethe, Johann von • Hazlitt, William • Heinlein, Robert A. • Hoffer, Eric • Huxley, Aldous • Ingersoll, Robert Green • James, William • Jefferson, Thomas • Johnson, Lyndon • Johnson, Samuel • Kennedy, John F. • King, Martin Luther • La Rochefoucauld, Francois • Lewis, C.S. • Lincoln, Abraham • Mencken, H.L. • Orwell, George • Pratchett, Terry • Roosevelt, Eleanor • Roosevelt, Theodore • Russell, Bertrand • Seneca the Younger • Shakespeare, William • Shaw, George Bernard • Stevenson, Adlai • Stevenson, Robert Louis • Twain, Mark • Watterson, Bill • Wilde, Oscar
- Only the 45 most quoted authors are shown above. Full author list.
- 20-May-20 - Introduction to the Art of Thinking, ch. 1, "Friendship" (1761) | WIST on John 15:13 (KJV).
- 18-May-20 - Chamblee54 on Clouds, ll. 998-999 (423 BC) [tr. Athenian Soc. (1912)].
- 18-May-20 - Chamblee54 on Mills E. Godwin, Governor of Virginia (Dec 1966).
- 11-May-20 - Chamblee54 on “Indian Summer,” Enough Rope (1926).
- 1-May-20 - Quoted in The Observer (17 Mar 1985) | WIST on Robert J. Hanlon, “Hanlon’s Razor,” Murphy’s Law, Book Two (ed. A. Bloch) (1980).
- 1-May-20 - Grow, Grow – Traditional Iconoclast on Midrash Rabba, Bereshit 10:6.
Quotations by Brilliant, Ashleigh
Been through Hell? Whaddya bring back for me?
Please don’t lie to me, unless you’re absolutely sure I’ll never find out the truth.
I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it.
I don’t understand you. You don’t understand me. What else do we have in common?
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
Try to relax and enjoy the crisis.
It’s not easy taking my problems one at a time when they refuse to get in line.
Inform all the troops that communications have completely broken down.
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering!
What’s the good of being forgiven, if I have to promise not to do it again?
Life may have no meaning. Or even worse, it may have a meaning of which I disapprove.
My life has a superb cast but I can’t figure out the plot.
Why is everybody behaving as if there were no reason to panic?
All I ask is a chance to prove that money can’t make me happy.
I may not be totally perfect, but parts of me are excellent.
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target.
If you can’t learn to do it well, learn to enjoy doing it badly.
I don’t have any solution, but I certainly admire the problem.
Incredible as it seems, my life is based on a true story.
I have abandoned my search for truth, and am now looking for a good fantasy.
I could do great things, if I weren’t so busy doing little things.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
By doing just a little every day, I can gradually let the task completely overwhelm me.
What I like most about myself is that I is that I’m so understanding when I do something wrong.
Life is the only game in which the object of the game is to learn the rules.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
All I want is a warm bed and a kind word and unlimited power.
Sometimes I make a mental note, but then forget where I put it.
It’s hopeless! Tomorrow there’ll be even more books I should have read than there are today.
People who don’t believe in progress must have forgotten how bad things used to be.
Appreciate Me Now, and Avoid the Rush.
Added on 29-Sep-14 | Last updated 29-Sep-14
| No comments
| No comments